The challenge of the sea
A voyage on board Prolific is a fantastic opportunity to learn new skills, face new challenges, overcome fears and achieve things you didn’t think you would be able to do. There are plenty of examples of people who have used their experience of a voyage with Ocean Youth Trust South as part of a successful college, university or job application.
Completing a voyage demonstrates that there might be more to you than someone who just sits at home playing games or watching TV.
Even if you are a high achiever with a long list of exam passes or successes in other fields, a voyage adds an extra dimension to your record.
Here are just a few of the experiences from a voyage which can be relevant in other areas of your life:
- Team working
- Building confidence
- Practising leadership skills
- Tolerance and understanding of other people – especially those from very different backgrounds
- Mental wellbeing
- Developing initiative
- Taking responsibility
- Working with new people
- Learning new skills
- Persisting with things you initially find difficult
- Succeeding with things you initially find daunting
- Basic life skills – such as cooking
- Overcoming challenges
- Coping with unfamiliar situations
- Communication skills
- Seizing opportunities
- Getting up on time!
Everyone who plays their part in a voyage gets a Voyage Certificate from Ocean Youth Trust South, which details what you did, where the boat went, and how many miles you sailed during your voyage.